top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

To whom do I pay my tax to?

Reader's query about where he has to pay tax.

After my divorce it is likely that my wife will keep possession of the UK property (registered in her name) and I will keep the house in France (registered in joint names). I work in various parts of the world about 6-7 months per year and spend 2-3 months in the UK and 2-3 months in France. My income is taxed at source, in whichever country I am working. I am non-resident for tax in the UK and keep within the 90-day limit. I am not a resident of France but, now that my circumstances are changing, it could be interpreted that France will be my primary abode. Do you think that would be so, and what are the consequences for tax? K.

Every person is and has to be fiscally resident in one country. Where you pay tax is of no conse- quence to where you are considered to be fiscally resident, although the tax paid in those countries is taken generally as a credit against the liability of the country in which you are resident. One of France’s criteria for residency is having a home so if your French house is your only home, then yes, you will be treated as a French fiscal resident and be liable to taxation in France on your world income, the foreign tax you paid being taken into account in your French income tax assessment. You need to be aware that, if you are not an employee paying tax at source, then you may well also be exposing yourself to French social security charges.

Reader's query answered by Hugh MacDonald

If you have a money query send it to We select questions for answer every edition

  • The information here is of a general nature. You should not act or refrain from acting on it without taking professional advice on the specific facts of your case.
  • No liability is accepted in respect of this article. It is intended only as a general guide. Nothing herein constitutes actual financial advice.
  • The Connexion welcomes queries and publishes a selection with answers every edition. However, please note that we cannot enter into correspondence on money topics. Queries may be edited for length and style. Due to the sensitive nature of topics we do not publish full names or addresses on these pages.
Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Visa and residency cards for France*
Featured Help Guide
- Visas and residency cards (cartes de séjour) for France help guide - Understand when visas and residency cards are required to move to France or come for an extended stay - Applies to Britons (post-Brexit) and to all other non-EU/non-EEA/Swiss nationalities - Useful to anyone considering a move to France, whether for work or otherwise, or wanting to spend more than three months at their French second home
Get news, views and information from France