top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Can the 90-day stay limit in France be extended for medical reasons?

Staying in France past the 90-day limit is possible with an application to the local prefecture and presenting various documents. We explain

'Compassionate grounds' could be cited if a UK national needs to stay in France past their 90-day limit due to medical reasons Pic: fizkes / Shutterstock

Reader question: Is there a way for a UK national to extend a visit to France beyond the 90-day limit after an accident that requires regular medical follow-ups?

The British Embassy in Paris says it is possible via an application to the local prefecture for an autorisation provisoire de séjour (provisional right to stay) on compassionate grounds.

The Dordogne prefecture said there would be a €39 fee in timbres fiscaux for this (obtainable from a tabac) and that the authorisation cannot exceed 180 days.

You need to show a passport and a copy of it, proof of health insurance (such as an Ehic or Ghic card), a copy of a return travel ticket out of France, and a doctor’s certificate.

If you are staying with someone a declaration from the host as to their relationship with you and willingness to take financial responsibility for you if required, the prefecture added.

Other reasons for asking for such an extension could be work-related matters, such as a training course being prolonged or a delay in the execution of a contract, or other ‘exceptional and unpredictable’ events.

Related stories

Why is there a 90-day visit rule for France? Is it France's decision?

How long can visiting Britons stay in France with EU-passport partner?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now