top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon

Married to a French person: do I need carte de sejour?

I live in France and am British but my wife is French. Will I be automatically entitled to continue living in France after the Brexit trans-ition period or do I have to do something?  H.F.

Essentially, yes, as the spouse of a French person (and EU citizen) you have the right to live in France.

This is set out in both French and EU law.

However, even so, it is expected that British spouses of French people will still have to apply for a “Brexit deal” residency card before the cut-off date, which is currently June 30, 2021.

These cards are intended to be tailored to the situation of Britons already living in the EU and aim to allow you to “continue your life as before” with much the same rights as an EU citizen.

All third country citizens in France need some form of carte de séjour, so if it was not the Brexit deal one, then you might have to apply for a third country citizen’s “private and family life” card instead.

Send your queries about life in France by email to  

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - and contains general information relevant to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France