EU migrants to UK to pay for healthcare

All foreign nationals moving to the UK after the end of a Brexit transition period should pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) of £625 per year of residency, the Conser­vative Party has said.

Published Last updated

At present, foreign nationals who are not EU citizens have to pay an IHS of £400 covering periods before they obtain permanent residency status, called indefinite leave to remain, which typically takes five years.

However, the Conservatives have said this should apply to EU citizens as well after 2020, and the fee should rise to £625.

This is on top of workers paying income tax and national insurance and is usually paid upfront as part of applying for a visa – eg. a £3,125 IHS when applying to come for five years.

Such rules could have knock-on effects on how other countries treat Britons moving over to become residents after Brexit.

However, if there is a deal, it would never apply to people who are resident before the end of the transition period.

In France, unless other arrangements are made via a reciprocal UK/France or UK/EU agreement, under current rules Britons would be treated in the same way as other non-EU immigrants.

As such, they would have healthcare rights via social charges on work if they obtain a visa to come to work in France.

Others could typically only come under a one-year (renew-able) “visitor” card, requiring income equivalent to the minimum wage.

They could apply for healthcare via Puma, with an annual contribution if their capital incomes are over a certain level.