Do I have to update my carte de séjour if French street name changes?

Changes are mandatory if you move for those with certain permits

If your address changes, there are a number of services you may need to contact

Reader Question: My street name has changed so do I legally have to update my carte de séjour? What happens if I do not do this?

By law, you are required to declare a change of address only if you have actually moved, which is not the case here.

Where it is obligatory, you should do it within three months of moving and you can be fined if you do not do so.

This is not required in the case of residency cards that last only one year, such as those for ‘visitors’, or where a residency card is up for renewal within three months.

If, however, you still want to change the card so it shows the new, correct street name, you can do so at the Foreign nationals in France website – click on Je déclare un changement de situation.

You will need:

  • your residency permit

  • photocopies of passport pages relating to civil status and validity dates

  • a proof of address less than three months old (such as a utility bill)

  • and three recent passport-size photographs.

If you are living at another person’s home, they will have to supply a dated and signed statement that you live at the address, and a copy of their identity card or residency permit and proof of address.

Request usually requires tax stamp

Changing address usually costs €25, payable via timbre fiscal (tax stamp), which can be bought online here or in-person at a tabac.

Residency card procedures for family members of EU citizens and for Britons with a Withdrawal Agreement cards should be free.

A useful website for notifying several other official bodies of an address change can be found here on the official service public site, however do note that this is not an exhaustive list and you will need to contact other services separately.

Related articles

Residency card, tax, visa: Who to inform and how if you move in France

How long do I need to keep old French documents?