Where can I sit a language test to become French?

How do I find out where to sit a French language test to include in a nationality application? I was trying to find a centre in which to take the DELF test. C.P.

Published Last updated

If you are aged under 60, you need a diploma or attestation saying you have the B1 level, as set down in the EU’s common framework of reference for languages. This is an “intermediate” level.

It does not necessarily have to be the DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue française) although this is one of the recognised options. If you specifically want to do the DELF, you can find a list of examination centres here (PDF document)

However, you may find it simpler to take the TCF instead. This is a quick listening and oral test designed as a “snapshot” of your current level of French, with a certificate valid for two years.

The DELF, on the other hand, is an exam leading to a state diploma in French and is valid for life.

Other centres, for a similar test organised by the Paris chamber of commerce and industry, can be found here (click on Trouver un centre de passation).

We would suggest you find out which centre is the most convenient to you and contact it directly for further information.

Other acceptable tests include Cambridge University’s BULATS test in French, or the Test de Français International by the Education Testing Service, so there is a range of options.

If you are aged over 60, are disabled or suffer from a chronic illness, you may be exempted from the requirement of a language test. Instead your French will be assessed during the interview at the prefecture to which all candidates for naturalisation are called once their dossier is processed.

People who have studied in a French-speaking country and have a diploma for a course they took in French may also be exempted from needing other proof.