top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

I am retired but can I do work as a pet-sitter in France?

Working as a pet-sitting  is certainly a possibility if you like animals, however, to do it properly according to the rules involves a certain amount of dedication – and paperwork

Reader question: Can a retiree make extra money by pet-sitting?

Yes, this is certainly a possibility if you like animals. However, to do it properly according to the rules involves a certain amount of dedication – and paperwork.

First, you should set up a self-employment business as a micro-entrepreneur, which you can do at or here.  

You can expect to pay 22% of your income as social charges, and you may be entitled to a small pension top-up when you stop the activity.

There is generally no problem with combining income from pensions with making money from self-employment, though in some cases French pensions you are drawing can be reduced if your income goes above a certain level. Take advice, if necessary.

Officially, anyone working as a pet-sitter should also take a short course related to animal care, called Attestation de connaissances pour les animaux de compagnie d’espèces domestiques, or Acaced.

A list of official training centres can be found here.

The cost will usually be upwards of €300 and the course will last around two days.

Taking this will entitle you to an agrément (accreditation) from the DDPP, an official health and safety body.

You should take out professional third party insurance, in case of any harm caused by the pet while it is your responsibility.

You will also have to work out the services you wish to provide. Hosting animals at your own home involves certain additional formalities, but commonly a pet-sitter makes visits to take care of the pet at its owner’s home, or often moves in while the owner is away, which can be a chance to get to know a new area.

Sources of more information include the DRAAF, for example for more on training in your area, national union for work with pets, or petsitters’ website.

Related stories

Can I hold a secondhand sale at my home in France?

Do I have to pay the full CFE business tax this year?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Income Tax in France 2023 (for 2022 income)*
Featured Help Guide
- Primarily aimed at Britons, covers pensions, rent, ISAs, shares, savings and interest - but also contains significant general information pertinent to readers of other nationalities - Overview of online declarations + step-by-step guide to the French printed forms - Includes updates given automatically after this year's site opened
Get news, views and information from France