top cx logo
cx logo
Explorearrow down
search icon
arrow down

Is my pet passport still valid despite 90-day limit on stay in France

We look at the rules for British people being able to register their pets in France’s database, a necessary step to get a pet passport

In order to get a pet passport issued in France, animals must be registered on France’s pet database called I-CAD Pic: Reshetnikov_art / Shutterstock

Reader question: I live in the UK but have a second home in France. I was able to get my dog a pet passport in France, but I read your recent article saying this should only be possible if I am staying in France for more than three months at a time. Is my French pet passport still valid?

Our reader is referring to our article Second-home owners in France to register travelling pets with I-CAD, published March 10, 2022. 

In it, we explain that in order to get a pet passport in France, pets must be registered by the owner on the pet register I-CAD. 

Read more: What is I-CAD? France’s pet database explained

To be registered, owners must be planning to stay in France for more than three months. 

UK citizens with a second home in France are unable to remain in France for more than three months due to the 90-in-180-days rule, which came into force due to Brexit on January 1, 2021, unless they apply for a visa.

However, we have previously reported that certain vets in France have confirmed that they will issue pet passports to British citizens with second homes in France. 

France’s Agriculture Ministry also previously confirmed that it is acceptable for British second-home owners to obtain a French pet passport, as long as an EU vet administers the pet’s rabies jabs.

Read more: How to get a French EU pet passport as a British second-home owner

There is no guarantee, though, that a French vet will issue second home owners a pet passport if they are not able to remain in France for more than three months at a time. 

This is because the I-CAD website specifically lays out this rule

For our reader, as they managed to get their pet registered on I-CAD, their pet’s French passport will remain valid for the rest of its life, I-CAD confirmed to The Connexion on March 24. 

To summarise, it may not always be possible for British citizens with second homes in France to get their pet registered on I-CAD in order to get a French pet passport, but if they do, it will remain valid for the rest of their pet’s life. 

Related articles

Confusion over EU pet passport rules costs British dog owner £500

Rabies shot for dogs: How often is it required for France-UK travel?

Why was my dog’s EU pet passport not accepted on UK to France ferry?

Resident or second-home owner in France?
Benefit from our daily digest of headlines and how-to's to help you make the most of life in France
By joining the newsletter, you agree to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
See more popular articles
The Connexion Help Guides
featured helpguide
Healthcare in France*
Featured Help Guide
- Understand the French healthcare system, how you access it and how you are reimbursed - Useful if you are new to the French healthcare system or want a more in-depth understanding - Reader question and answer section Aimed at non-French nationals living here, the guide gives an overview of what you are (and are not) covered for. There is also information for second-home owners and regular visitors.
Get news, views and information from France
You have 2 free subscriber articles left
Subscribe now to read unlimited articles and exclusive content
Already a subscriber? Log in now